It’s Friday I’m in Love – The Cure

A song to get students speaking!

Speaking is the most challenging of the four skills to teach in large heterogeneous classes. As speaking is interactive and demands an almost instant response, the pressure to ‘perform’ is often overwhelming for students.

With this in mind I created a fun lesson plan based on the famous song ‘It’s Friday I’m in Love’ by The Cure. Not one of my 10th grade students knew the song but they all quickly ‘fell in love’ with it.

My aim was to get the students speaking and using the lexical chunks from the song. However, to my amazement they quickly began singing the song, and asked me to play it again and again.

I have included the lesson plan and the PowerPoint for you to use with your classes.

I hope you and your students enjoy the lesson as much as I did.

I’d love to hear from you in the comments box below.

13 thoughts on “It’s Friday I’m in Love – The Cure

1. Hi Jane,
    I attended your talk at the Keep talking conference for 10th grade.
    I’ve suscribed to your blog. I cannot see the lesson plan not the presentation to Friday I’m in Love. Where should I look for it ?
    Thanks,
    Ariela

1. Dear Abdallah,

Thank you for your commment. It was great to see you in February and once again this week.

Regards,

Jane

2. Hi dear,
    Extremely creative stuff!
    Weren’t you worried, though, that students wouldn’t take interest in a song which is ‘dated’ and unfamiliar to them?

1. Hi Dana,

I was concerned that they would hate the song but was pleasantly surprised taht they loved the song.

Message to myself – Never make assumptions.

Regards,

Jane

1. Thank you for your feedback Nava. I apologise for not replying sooner. Life seems to have taken over.

3. I really like the lesson plan, but I cannot use the presentation since it is for members only on slide share. Is this on purpose? If not, perhaps you can upload it to google drive and share it from there?